Carer’s Allowance: 0843 504 7223

Contact the Carer’s Allowance support team on 0843 504 7223 or 0345 601 8040 for help with your claim for carer’s benefits.

Carer’s Allowance is a state benefit that is paid to the carers of people who are disabled. There are many people in the country who, if they were to contact the Carer’s Allowance team, would find that they do qualify. Therefore we urge anyone who looks after a spouse, family member, neighbour or friend to phone the Carer’s Allowance team to check eligibility for this benefit – that pays at a rate of 61.35 a week.

Qualifying Conditions

In order to receive Carer’s Allowance:

  • You must be looking after someone for 35 hours a week or more
  • You must have been Resident in the UK for two of the last three years / Or been living abroad as a member of the UK armed forces
  • You must be at least 16 years old
  • You must be earning less than £102.00 per week (after tax)
  • The person you care for must be in receipt of at least one of the following benefits:
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • Attendance Allowance (AA)
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it worth contacting the Carer’s Allowance helpline if I have savings?

Carer’s Allowance, unlike many state benefits, is not means-tested. Therefore, regardless of how much money or property you may have, it is still worth phoning the Carer’s Allowance team to check your entitlement.

When I got married I vowed to take care of my wife in sickness and in health, so why should the state pay for me to perform my duties?

Many people in the country are in the difficult position of  look after the physical needs of a  relative who is struggling with a long term illness whilst also struggling themselves financially. People – particularly the older generation – are slow to contact the state to apply for the support that they need. The state also has a duty to provide the support that people need to successfully care for society’s most vulnerable members.

How will my Carer’s Allowance application affect my other benefits?

If you are in receipt of other state benefits, such as JSA or ESA, you might not be paid Carer’s Allowance. Instead, you may receive a carer’s premium which will be added to your existing benefit. If you are already in receipt of JSA or ESA and feel you may qualify for Carer’s Allowance it is worth phoning the CA helpline (number below) to check if you will receive Carer Premium or Carer’s Allowance.

Contact Details

Phone numbers

UK (mobile-friendly): 0345 608 4321

0345 608 4321 is the best number to call from a mobile phone (before Summer 2015); and best if calling from a landline (unless you are in Northern Ireland in which case you can phone the freephone 0800 number, which is only free if calling from a landline – mobiles charge for these calls although they will stop charging after Summer 2015).

Most landline and mobile phone contracts offer cheap rates on calls to 0345 numbers – generally they cost the same as calls to local 01 & 02 numbers. Check with your mobile network to confirm how much your current tariff charges for calls to numbers beginning with 0345.

UK: 0845 608 4321 – Advertised number, but not the cheapest numbers to call!

UK: 0843 504 7223 – Alternative (but reliable) number!

If you are using a landline telephone to contact the Carer’s Allowance office it is likely that the 0845 and 0843 numbers will be equal or slightly more expensive than the 03 number. Most 0843 numbers, for example, generally cost 5p per minute to call from a standard BT landline phone.

NI: 0800 220674 – Call this freephone number if you are phoning from Northern Ireland.

Postal address

Write to the Carer’s Allowance department of UK Government, by sending a letter to this address:

The Carer’s Allowance Unit
Palatine House
Lancaster Road

The telephone directory and call routing service